Showing posts 1 - 5 of 106. View more »
Ilkley Swimming Club is a friendly, growing club run by a volunteer committee on a non-profit making basis. We have both swimming and waterpolo sessions with experienced coaches and are based at the pool in Ilkley where we run all our training sessions. Our aim is for members to improve and progress their swimming and waterpolo as far as they want - whether competitively, for fitness or for the simple pleasure of swimming. Most of all we want all our members to enjoy their sport.
We run a structured swimming training programme over three evenings a week and our members are split into five squads:
- C squad - for those swimmers whose main focus is skill development. They swim twice a week.
- B squad - for those swimmers with a higher level of skill. The focus is on a mixture of skill development and fitness. They swim 3 times a week.
- A squad - seniors (18 to 24) and juniors with a high level of skill. The focus is on fitness and training. They swim 3 times a week.
- Masters - swimmers over the age of 24. They swim 3 times a week.
- Triathletes and other swimmers who use swimming as part of a fitness regime. This squad swims once a week.
We believe that good technique underpins all successful swimming and focus heavily on it. Progression from one squad to another is based on skills. Our coaches all have coached and/or competed at international or national level
We compete in local galas and some Open meets and run our own gala and time trials. We encourage our junior swimmers to take part in galas but this is not a requirement. Some use their swimming for fitness, for other sports or for triathlons. We encourage our talented and committed junior swimmers to progress, whether via the City of Bradford Swimming Club training scheme or otherwise.
Our Masters swimmers include competitive swimmers who compete in regional and national championships, triathletes and open water swimmers
For current session days and times see Training Sessions 2012
All junior and Masters swimmers are expected to have a certain level of swimming ability. For juniors, we prefer new members to have finished all levels on the Bradford swimming teaching scheme (or equivalent) but do take on swimmers who are coming to the end of their lessons. Masters typically swim 3000 metres in an hour. Our triathletes have a broad range of abilities. We hold trial evenings for people wishing to join. For more information see Membership
We currently run waterpolo once a week on Wednesdays for both 8-11 and 11-18.
Again see Training Sessions 2012 for details.